Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Karen S. Billings
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 20:32:15 -0600

I'm still a LilyPond newbie...

As a retired Bell Labs engineer, I can honestly say that I have found LilyPond
to be harder than learning vi, troff/nroff, and shell scripts.  (Maybe it's
age, maybe it's having been out of the field for 7+ years, or maybe it's just
that I was never an actual programmer...)

I am a volunteer church musician and use LilyPond to "scribble out" music for
services - usually for setting alternate words to a given harmonization (with
adjustments) for the cantor & guitarists, for writing viola parts for a given
melody, or for setting knew set of words to an alternate accompaniment (so I
can simultaneously sing one and play the other).

I found LilyPond more than I could handle, so I use Frescobaldi when preparing
snippets, since it helps me with debugging & lets me see what I've written
(never underestimate immediate gratification... Or immediate "whoops!"
feedback).

I learned of the Utopia project when using a LilyPond engraving of BWV 680
(J.S.Bach).

Since it's still new (6 months or so), I do find it a challenge...

Karen S. Billings CAGO