Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Jean-Luc Chevillard
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 09:54:22 +0530

Greetings (from Pondicherry, India)

Age: 59

My first degree was in Mathematics, and then I migrated to Linguistics (or rather to the History of Linguistics, which I see as part of the "History of Science").

This is the domain where I did my Ph.D (in the eighties).

I am a researcher (at CNRS) working on the ancient Tamil Shastric (i.e. "scholarly/scientific/«grammatical»")  literature.

I also work on the Tamil devotional corpus, which has been transmitted for many centuries with Musical Information attached.

There is also some metrical/rythmic information attached to that corpus.

At the time of MS-DOS, in the eighties, I have written a number of small utilities in Assembly language, and have also some familiarity with a number of programming languages (although I tend to view them with the point of view of the "historian of science" and frequently buy nowadays, on ABE books, second-hand Descriptions of Languages (from the sixties, the seventies, the eighties, etc.) which have been discarded by libraries, wondering all the time what life would have been if I had really used those languages and marvelling at the creativity of all those geniuses.

I have almost all the books of D.E. Knuth, starting with TAOCP, and continuing with his Collected Papers, etc.

I have never really seriously used TeX and MetaFont but I have bought the books containing the listings of those programs (in Pascal)

I have discovered LilyPond a few years ago and use it for transcribing Tamil Hymns for which I have found svara notation (in sa-ri-ga-ma format), as for instance in the following examples:
"https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard/Musical-Transcription"

I have never used Frescobaldi (I am not sure what it is, but I see it mentionned frequently on the list) and write my .ly files using a text editor (I currently use NotePad+)

I enjoy reading messages on this mailing list and have received helpful advice on a few occasions when I asked for help

Greetings to all

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Paris -- Pondicherry -- Hamburg)

"https://univ-paris-diderot.academia.edu/JeanLucChevillard"

"https://plus.google.com/u/0/113653379205101980081/posts/p/pub"

"https://twitter.com/JLC1956"

On 2015-08-26 22:10, Urs Liska wrote:
This thread makes me wonder: what's the average age of LilyPond users
>and
>developers?
Remind me in two weeks and I'll start a poll on Scores of Beauty