Re: Any other Thunderbird users have messages never post? (WAS: Hide slu

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Any other Thunderbird users have messages never post? (WAS: Hide slur?)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 14:04:04 +0100

On 19/10/17 12:33, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

> As I started this, I would like to comment:
>
>  1. I read this list using Thunderbird, my mail server sits with
>     gmx.net. When I didnot see my mail for several hours arriving on the
>     list I started to worry.

Has gmx sat on the mail for a while before sending it? This can happen
... expecially if one of "internet tubes" is clogged.

>  2. In the mean time there were to messages in the mailing list
>     arriving. I checked the spam folder with gmx using a webinterface,
>     but there were not any mails from address@hidden

Messages should turn up eventually, but don't forget mail servers can
get clogged up. We're so used to immediate delivery we forget that
doesn't always happen.

I sometimes get messages back from lists saying random messages have
been held for moderation. I don't remember this happening here, but it can.

>  3. I have not yet understood why this delay. It is nice to know that
>     mails do not get lost, but how can you be sure, David. Mails lost
>     would not be seen?

And again, I don't think it applies here, don't forget some lists will
look at the distribution list on the incoming mail, and not send the
outgoing message to those addresses. So you do not receive a copy of
your own emails.

Cheers,
Wol