lmi

Re: [lmi] Group quotes, part deux

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group quotes, part deux
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 15:21:50 +0200

On Fri, 13 May 2016 12:31:26 +0000 Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:

GC> On 2016-05-12 22:03, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GC> >
GC> >  I've uploaded the commits implementing the changes discussed in this
GC> > thread to https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/28. As usual, I've tested them
GC> > not only with my usual builds (MSVC one under MSW and autotools under
GC> > Linux), but also with the lmi official makefiles under MSW and everything
GC> > seems to work correctly in all cases.
GC>
GC> I've applied all patches locally and tested everything extensively, and
GC> it looks like these changes are ready for production.

 Thank you for testing them!

GC> There's one change that I need to make: the spouse rider amount shown in
GC> a footnote is the case total, but the individual amount is wanted instead.

 I am not sure I understand this correctly (how can an individual amount be
shown for a footnote which is unique and common to all individuals? i.e.
what should be shown if two or more individual amounts differ?), but this
is probably not important anyhow as you seem to be saying that you're going
to change this yourself. Of course, if you need any help with the changes in
formating of this footnote or anything trivial like this, please let me know,
but I'll leave the real work to you.

GC> Otherwise, when Kim's back in the office I'd like to discuss these
GC> formatting details, depending on her opinion on their desirability and
GC> yours on the effort required:
GC>
GC> - As you've pointed out, centering the amounts in the table means that
GC> numbers of different magnitudes don't line up vertically. Right-justified
GC> columns would be easier to read.
GC>
GC> - Totals and averages are formatted differently than tabular data: they
GC> are right justified (which I think is good), but the dollar signs are
GC> separated from the numbers and left justified (which seems unusual to me).

 Those would be trivial to change and I can quickly implement whichever
formatting you prefer.

GC> - If any of the six dollar-amount columns are hidden, the space they
GC> would have occupied seems to be reallocated to the "Participant" column.
GC> We might prefer to allocate some of this space to the dollar-amount
GC> columns.

 This one is slightly less so. Currently things are very simple: a column
either has a fixed width or is "expandable" meaning that it takes up all
the space remaining after allocating space for the fixed width columns. To
do what you suggest we'd need to define some other way of determining the
column widths and I'm not sure how to do it best. Please let me know if you
have any ideas/requirements about what the widths should be in the
different cases (i.e. all columns shown, 2 dollar amount columns hidden or
4 of them hidden) and I'll try to come up with something.

 Thanks in advance,
VZ