lmi

Re: [lmi] Group quotes, part deux

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] Group quotes, part deux
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 14:39:58 +0000

On 2016-05-13 12:31, Greg Chicares wrote:
> On 2016-05-12 22:03, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>>
>>  I've uploaded the commits implementing the changes discussed in this
>> thread to https://github.com/vadz/lmi/pull/28. As usual, I've tested them
>> not only with my usual builds (MSVC one under MSW and autotools under
>> Linux), but also with the lmi official makefiles under MSW and everything
>> seems to work correctly in all cases.
>
> I've applied all patches locally and tested everything extensively, and
> it looks like these changes are ready for production.

All committed now.

>>  The only questionable decision in these commits I see is my decision to
>> treat columns with empty headers as being hidden
>
> I'll consider that when I review and commit each patch. My guess is that
> this won't matter because we supply a header for every desired column,
> so none will be hidden by accident.

This is all right. Just to clarify: 'column_definitions' supplies a
non-empty header for each of the numeric columns, which the premium-quote
PDF generator ignores (using empty strings instead) for columns that are
to be hidden. It all works just fine.

>>  Please let me know if you'd like me to do this or would like to propose
>> any other changes.
>
> There's one change that I need to make: the spouse rider amount shown in
> a footnote is the case total, but the individual amount is wanted instead.

Done. (I even used at(), for concinnity.)

> Otherwise, when Kim's back in the office I'd like to discuss these
> formatting details, depending on her opinion on their desirability and
> yours on the effort required:
[...]
> - If any of the six dollar-amount columns are hidden, the space they
> would have occupied seems to be reallocated to the "Participant" column.
> We might prefer to allocate some of this space to the dollar-amount
> columns.

Unless Kim is strongly in favor of it, I'll withdraw this suggestion
because it's gilding the lily and our supply of gold is constrained.
Besides, the current behavior is arguably preferable because the
currency columns' widths are the same whether or not they're hidden:
a customer who receives a variety of different quotes will find this
makes comparisons easier.