lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Mercurial

From: Dmitry Potapov
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Mercurial
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:38:33 +0300

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Mike Kleshov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Although Linus Torvalds' words carry some weight, context is important
> too. Perhaps, he meant to say that Mercurial would be 'not too bad'
> for the Linux development model.

Mercurial and Git have a lot of in common (I mean many basic ideas rather
than their implementation)... So, I guess, it has something to do with that...
I don't think "the Linux development model" is relevant. Git is very flexible
to accommodate different development model. Certainly, it fits better for
certain development approaches than others, but even when you use a
centralized workflow and small number of developers, you still can benefit
from using it. One of the important advantages comes from the ability to
implement new features in parallel using branches. It means that what
gets merged to the master branch is usually in good shape for release.
At the same time, developers can experiment on their feature branches,
and what does not work is just discarded. So, it is very convenient even
when you in a small group of developers and an average size project...

 He is hardly qualified to choose a
> VCS for every software project out there. I would argue that for many
> projects Subversion would be the perfect choice.

What version control systems do you know?

> Anyway, given that there is no consensus, I think that 'if it ain't
> broke, don't fix it' would be a healthy approach.

Notepad is certainly not broken... but some other editors are far more
suitable to write the code once you learn them...

Dmitry