Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!

From: Ariel Chylde
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:34:32 +0000

Hi,

First of all, I fully agree with Peter's Posting.
But when I read some of the answers, I became upset:
Some writers suggest to create a mldonkey-only network.
This would exactly be the thing eMule is doing right now. We wouldn't be
any better.

100% agree!

Furthermore, it sounds like the beginning of a "war" between mldonkey
and eMule/eDonkey. This would lead into a split of the community and of
the network. Both clients would lose (sources and availability of
files), perhaps one of them would even disappear.

100%agree!
Thats a good point!
There might be big linux servers out there, but remeber, 1000 windows clients with 10k upload each makes a nice 10000 kB upload bandwidth. And we shouldn't bash windows users generally, there is a great number of ppl willing to support the p2p idea "correctly". Of course there is a fast majority of leech-em-dry-emule users, but we should make a difference here.

I understand your annoyance about eMule's strategy of preferring other
eMule clients in sharing. This "feature" must be removed.

Yeah but how do so?
The emule developers don't care about otehr peoples opinions, they just enforce their way of thinking to the community and a large part of the windows community follows, because this thing hsa so sweeeet graphs and looks nice (so i was told ...).

But despite this eMule is a popular windoze client with a really good
and easy-to-use GUI suitable for its users. Mldonkey lacks this.

Really?
Try mldonkey-watch, very good looking, functional and kicking ass ;)
http://run.to/mldonkeywatch

And remember: The network lives from popularity. Even if there are lots
of leechers among them (they are also among us, don't forget!) - we will
have to live with that. They will always be there.

ACK

1. Stop developing interfaces to other networks like KaZaA for the
moment and start repairing the donkey network. This would be best done
by improving the already built-in mldonkey server, maybe releasing a
server-only version. Most important thing here is: This server MUST BE
FREE. There must not be any client detection or things like that. We
have to show that everybody is welcome and equally treated.

Good idea...
But then the server should be as good as the lugdunum patches, or it won't last long.
Server admins simple look for the best usage of their hardware.

2. Start porting mldonkey to windoze. Yes, you read it right.
If we want to get rid of the eMule preference "feature", we should not
only count on the support of the eMule developers. We have to give the
unexperienced windoze user an alternative to access the network. At the
same time this is a chance to show these users what sharing and
community means.

Good idea!
Lots of people run to emule (and are stuck with the default limitations the client enforces) because the original client really isn't up to date anymore. A good, modern alternative might convince lots of reasonable windows users to use a not that facts enforcing donkey client.

The only way to persuade all users that our way is the right one for the
community is to offer the best service in the network which must be open
to and free for all clients.

ACK

Greetings