Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!

From: Taros666
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Enough is enough! Please read this!
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:22:13 +0100

Here we go again...
Another thread with a lot of ranting and bitching about the Edonkey-Network. So you get my 2 cents as well.

MLdonkey-users have been accused to ruin the network for a long time, but the network was dieing just before the first release of mldonkey. Some time ago I wrote about the big problem: the donkey-network doesn't scale well! I had DL at 80 kb/s as long, as the network had not more than 30000 Users. As the network grew, the network got slower and slower. Yes, mldonkey was aggressiv in the beginning and that gave back a normal DL-speed for mldonkey users BUT it was never been done intentionally, it was because the specs for the network were not available!

The network is still pretty slow, and it really doen't matter what client you are using (I tried emule, offical edonkey (win and lin) and of course mldonkey). The advantage of emule is that they created a smaller network inside of the edonkey-network! They block other clients (via credit system and removing aggressiv clients) and so they have a smaller more efficent network. But that is a bad thing, because they remove a lot of good and highly available clients - the *nix/*BSD Clients. And as the "emule-threat" is not enough, there is that big monster lungdumm (intentionally written wrong).
I see a bad future for the donkey-network...and I'm pretty sad about that...

It's true, that a lot of people don't get the idea of Free (with capital "F") Software and that they don't get the idea of p2p as well. That is another sad thing... So many people don't bother, that they use cracked or ripped Software on their bad beta-software called windows. I don't want to say, that all Linux users are better. They are not! But the majority of *nix/BSD-users know what a community is. They know that you have to give to get. That you have to care and share to get something back. And you get a lot back!

I really hope the future will give as a nice, scalable, big, secure, Free network where it is fun to share...

Taros666

P.S. Free (with capital "F") dosen't mean that you get something for free - it is more about freedom of Software...