Re: [Mldonkey-users] User Management in 2.03

From: Martin Kuhlmann
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] User Management in 2.03
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 00:33:54 +0100

Hi MLdonkey,

Du schriebst am Dienstag, 11. März 2003 um 22:46:55:

>>  > *) $USER1 can only see _his_ downloads
>>  >      (is not able to cancel $USER2's downloads)
>>  > *) 'commit' commits only $USER's downloads
>>  > *) $USER can't change options
>>  > *) $USER can add servers, but not disconnect from them
>>  > *) $USER can see all 'showing only' things.
> There are some problems with that. What happens if a file is
> downloaded by two users ? Should it be copied in two different
> incoming directories ? Should the two users commit it for it to be
> really moved ? What happens if one of the two users abort it ?
> The idea is good, but we have to find good rules...

Perhaps a 'public' place is a good idea. Every user gets access to it,
able to add, pause or cancel (perhaps admin should set rights)
downloads there. And every user has a private place. Standard should
be the public place.

If a file is downloaded by two users mldonkey should load it only
once. Perhaps a layer between the real downloaded files and the files,
the user sees. Every file can exist only one time on the downloadlist,
only one time in every users place but multiple times if you count all
users.

So mldonkey must have a user management like this:

$ADMIN can do all, see all private places of $USER[n] and can set all
options. He is the only one with the right to create users. Also he
should be able to set the commiting-directory for every user
seperately.

$USER has his/her own settings like the format of htmloutput. He has
a private list and a public list, both linked against the internal
downloadlist. Hm, pausing can be difficult, only possible if he is the
only one downloading perhaps. He can cancel it => mldonkey looks if it
is the only reference and kills the file if yes. If not it only kills
the reference in $USERs private list.

Another, completely different thing: I noticed with the last public
betas, and the rc too, that the downloadrate gets bad with more and
more files. I've added plenty (~40) files, all sharereactor. They
should be spread and easy to get. He gets nothing.... with only one or
two files in the list mldonkey is as efficient as i like it. Why?
Workaround: A third list with files in reserve. $User can easily move
them to public/private place. But thats.... only suboptimal.

Gruß,
  Martin

--
PGP public key ID:  0x27D580B5
PGP public key fingerprint: 3761 E66D 8600 EF88  A547 65B7 1CBC 1F8F