Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone

From: Curtis Magyar
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Now that Filenexus, Sharereactor and Jigle are gone
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 07:36:39 -0600

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 15:06 +0200, mithrandi wrote:
> Ok, sorry, I was unclear in my terminology. Freenet guarantees the
> "authenticity" of the document, but you could put up a Freenet page with
> bogus ed2k:// URLs. Freenet doesn't have any mechanisms for tracking
> virtual "identity", per se. What I'm referring to is something like:
>
>     You get a release "document" which contains ed2k URLs for the latest
>     version of Overnet. This release document is signed by the
>     ShareReactor key, so you can be quite confident that the release is
>     valid, since ShareReactor have a well-established reputation.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the current indexing
personally, and there's nothing to stop someone from putting bogus ed2k
links on the web now.  The problem currently is these pages have a
central authority that the entire index can be brought down with a
single letter from an MPAA lawyer.  Not only that, but multiple indexes,
from what I see here:
http://www.the-realworld.de/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=492&mode=&order=0&thold=0

> > I've always looked at the indexing webpages of the edonkey network as
> > its greatest strength.  If that system is being jeopardized, then maybe
> > the time has come for anonymous indexing.
>
> As I say, this only seems to make sense if it is accompanied by
> anonymous file sharing.

I'm not so sure.  Say you have Sharereactor on a freenet page, signed
with the sharereactor key, so you know it's genuine, then the masses
take their ed2k links from there. The MPAA can go ahead and sue every
peer downloading the files if they see fit, but I doubt it will work any
better than the RIAA strategy, and they'll go broke long before they
make a dent.  The indexers remain anonymous, and useful, and the peers
don't really matter as much.

--
Curtis