RE: Some SSL stuff.

From: Christian Hopp
Subject: RE: Some SSL stuff.
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:56:20 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Jan-Henrik Haukeland wrote:

> Apropos SSL, Christian, I just browsed through the monitor.h file,
> it seems to me that we should detach the ssl stuff so that the user
> doesn't have to have openssl installed to compile monit.

You don't need to have openssl to be installed... look in ssl.h.  In
case openssl is not installed (!HAVE_OPENSSL), ssl_connection is
"typedef"ed to void.  I have already thought about that.

> This means that if configure is run --without-ssl we should mask out
> building any ssl and the rest of the code should be independent on
> the ssl include files and such. If this is possible at all now?

Hgrph... you always need some kind of interface between the ssl free
code and the ssl code.  This interface is more or less dependent on
ssl, but it is dependent.

> one place to start could be in monitor.h and make the variable
> "ssl_connection * ssl" for Port_T a (void*) and so on. What do you
> think?

That's not good doing it that's way.  I was always happy giving all my
variables explicitly type definition.  I case I did a mistake I got a
warning.  But if we put a void pointer in Port_T we have to cast any
instance of "ssl_connection *".  That's no good! (-:

We should better think for the next release of a clear interface
library... maybe net.c.  That should be the only area (except for
p.y... and l.l... okay and monitor.h... and I forgot about status.c
and cervlet.c for status!) having ssl code.  That could be a way to at
least clean up the code.

But in my opinion it should compile without problem on a system
without openssl.

Christian

PS: I have started again a monit long time test... it runs 19 hours
    smoothly with httpd with ssl, a browser constantly nagging it,
    apachessl, imaps and pop3s as services.

--
Christian Hopp                                email: address@hidden
Institut für Elektrische Informationstechnik             fon: +49-5323-72-2113