[Monotone-devel] Re: Build errors with VC8

From: Anthony Williams
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Build errors with VC8
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:43:57 +0100

Anthony Williams <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Anthony Williams schrieb:
>>> OK, I ran with the freshly built version and everything fails. Here's the
>>> output of the first test (deleting directories), and the mtn version --full
>>> output
>>
>> mtn: beginning commit on branch 'testbranch'
>> mtn: fatal: struct Botan::Memory_Exhaustion: Botan: Ran out of memory,
>> allocation failed
>> mtn: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
>> mtn: please send this error message, the output of 'mtn version --full',
>>

>> We could certainly fail more clearer if monotone runs out of memory, but
>> again, this seems to be a local problem.
>
> Sort of. It's a local problem in that I'm compiling with VC8, and the
> distribution compiler for Windows is mingw as far as I can tell. However,
> this machine has plenty of RAM and swap space, and monotone v0.35 passes
> this test fine without exhausting memory. I'm investigating the problem.

OK, it's not an out-of-memory problem, though that's the exception that's
being thrown. The problem is that the call to deflateInit2 in botan/gzip.cc is
failing with Z_STREAM_ERROR, but the code assumes that all deflateInit2 errors
are memory exhaustion errors. In this case it's because an incorrect version
of zlib1.dll is being found on the path (so yes it's a local error).

With the correct zlib1.dll, I get the attached log. There are five
unexpected failures:

97 calculation_of_unidiffs
127 committing_with_a_non-english_message
177 empty_environment
199 i18n_commit_messages
213 importing_files_with_non-english_names

For completeness, I've attached the diffs between my workspace and the current
HEAD that I can see on net.venge.monotone
(8fd11e5825fd19d966543b3314cefb82c2cdca4e)

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams
Just Software Solutions Ltd - http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk