[Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Web service metrics: interface granularity an

From: Michael Parkin
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] Re: Web service metrics: interface granularity and service composition
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:04:24 +0200

Thanks Duncan.

Had a quick scan of the paper you linked to. It seems the traffic light system is concerned with the health of the deployed service. Apologies, perhaps I wasn't too clear about what I'm looking for, by granularity I meant two things:

* Granularity of a service interface (or the 'size' of a service interface). Aka how many operations/portTypes/interfaces/etc. in each interface.

* Granularity of a service operation (the 'size' of a particular operation). A service operation can perform a single function or more than one function. Singular operations can be, for instance, primitives like CRUD while composite operations combine other service operations.

Our research is concerned with finding the appropriate granularity for a service interface and each operations when designing or refactoring a service, according to some criteria like reusability, value, maintainability, reliability, etc.

Initially we're attempting to find some data - such as number of operations per service interface - from existing service interfaces to find some real-world data on the first aspect of granularity. Hence our interest in the Biocatalogue, myExperiment and others, such as EMBRACE and seekda.

Thanks again,

Michael.

p.s. I used 'composition' a bit too loosely in the last email - I meant the composition of the service interface wrt operations, not compositions of services :).