nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: line numbers?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: line numbers?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 11:31:22 +0200

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016, at 23:44, David Niklas wrote:
> I just checked out and built nano.
> I think you should remove the space between the numbers and the files
> text.

Vim has a space (:set nu <Enter>).  Emacs doesn't (M-x linu <Enter>).
I like Vim's presentation better.

Also, I think the empty column matches better the empty line below
the titlebar that nano has in its default setup.

> The reason is that if you're editing code and you're trying to
> figure out what the indentation is it will be more difficult if there is
> an extra space in there and people will forget that there is an extra
> space there also.

To check proper indentation I use M-P.  But... you do have a
small point there.  Anyone else who feels this way?  Maybe the
empty column should be in reverse video too (by default)?

But... no, I think things are fine the way they are now.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are