Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:40:29 -0700

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:

>>It took over four weeks for me to do this very easy task on our CentOS 6
>>system. Fortunately, they had already installed some more modern
>>compilation tools, but not all.
>>
>>1. Ask IT to install git. Go to CCB. Install.
>>2. Compile, notice that a library is missing.
>>3. Ask IT to install library. Go to CCB. Install.
>>4. Go to 2.
>
> We're in a tough spot here.  First, I'm looking over our library
> dependency list ... it's should be pretty standard.  Well, there is that
> whole Linux lossage about "development" libraries, but we can't really
> help that.  I mean, if you look at the list, we should only depend on
>
> - dbm
> - termcap/termlib
> - iconv (optional)
> - readline (optional)

ncurses and libssl (for sasl and tls) come to mind as well.

> That's pretty basic.  I am surprised that you had to ask IT to install
> that much extra stuff.

Keep in mind that CCBs are once a week, so it's not like it was a lot
of libraries.

Building 1.6 on CentOS 6...

./configure (same as before, but without --enable-lockdir) completes.
Found iconv, did not find readline.
make succeeds.
make check passes.
make install works.

Smoke test:
inc (via MH-E)...check
comp (via MH-E)...check
send (via MH-E)...check
rcvstore...check

Damn, good job folks! Now I can go back to not worrying about locking
(although I was oblivious that I had to worry about it before).

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/