Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] What about an nmh-1.6-RC1
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:07:38 -0700

On Jul 22, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Bill Wohler <address@hidden> wrote:

> ncurses and libssl (for sasl and tls) come to mind as well.
>
>> That's pretty basic.  I am surprised that you had to ask IT to install
>> that much extra stuff.
>
> Keep in mind that CCBs are once a week, so it's not like it was a lot
> of libraries.

We do try to keep the external dependencies to the absolute bare minimum. But
when the "OS" decides to stop installing such basic core components as
termcap/curses, that's not something we are going to get too sympathetic about
...  (The irony is that those same systems are almost guaranteed to have
installed the hundreds of megabytes of gnome goop.)

These days I do think it's reasonable to expect openssl to be present.  But not
the CMU SASL libraries.  My thought has always been that we should include our
own bare-bones SASL implementation, sufficient to allow CRAM-MD5 and PLAIN
(after a successful TLS negotiation).  This would certainly cover off the vast
majority of cases where MH needs to talk to an SMTP or Submission server.  I'm
not sure what the state of the art is in POP servers, as I haven't used one in
a couple of decades.

--lyndon