Re: X protocol errors

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: X protocol errors
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:51:35 -0400

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 01:43:53 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> It seems like this might be related to icons missing somehow.

Yes, it does. Took me a lot of permutations to get to the point where I
can confirm that :)

> Are any icons missing from the menus?  For example, the Edit menu
> should have icons for the undo, copy, and paste menu entries.  Are
> they displayed correctly?

I continually get mixed results with icons appearing in menus for my
personal development machine. I've tried a few different window managers
and never see icons in the Edit or Debug menus, no idea why, possibly
some setting exported from GNOME to Qt, as GNOME has a tendency to want
to hide icons in menus. But it seems intentional that icons do not
appear for me as a GNOME user.

I do see icons running under Unity on an Ubuntu VM with a completely
separate user account. So that's the only way I can confirm. If I start
up a Xvnc on my local account, remote in to the VM from there, and run
Octave from that user account on the Xvnc, then I *do* finally see icons
and I do *not* get BadDrawable errors anymore.

So for me, yes it is related to not displaying icons, but perhaps
intentionally, whatever Qt is doing internally to hide the icons based
on some setting I have, that generates errors under the Xvnc server.

Also, I get the BadDrawable error even for menus that have no icons,
like Help and News.

I would not be surprised to confirm that other Qt apps have the same
errors. The big difference being our stderr stream goes into the
application, while everyone else's goes to a log that no one looks at.

--
mike