Re: X protocol errors

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: X protocol errors
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:15:27 -0400

On 03/14/2014 09:28 AM, Mike Miller wrote:
On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 12:24:07 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
As I recall, it is left to the theme to decide whether to display
icons in the menus.

I think it's working for me now.

Hmm, we already install a custom Qt message handler, but it just
sends the messages to std::cerr, same as what the default Qt message
handler would do for X11.

Could you try the attached patch to make this function do nothing
except report that it was called and let me know if all the protocol
errors are changed to "FOO-I-HITHERE" instead?  If so, then it
should be easy to redirect at least the warning messages to
/dev/null or some log file instead of the terminal window.  We might
also want to sleep before calling abort on the fatal messages to
give some time to actually read the message...

Yes, all warnings are now FOO-I-HITHERE, one for every menu and submenu
I open. And now that I'm getting icons, I can verify that the warning
comes out whether or not an icon is shown or can be shown.

And I get the same warning on stderr when I run other Qt applications on
my Xvnc setup.

OK. So what should we do, redirect the messages to a log file, or just discard anything that is not critical? Make this behavior optional (with default to log to a file)?