Re: X protocol errors

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: X protocol errors
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 11:21:05 -0400

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 10:15:27 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
> OK.  So what should we do, redirect the messages to a log file, or just
> discard anything that is not critical?  Make this behavior optional (with
> default to log to a file)?

IMHO the best option would be to send GUI stderr to the stderr of the
calling process, the terminal or the desktop environment that launched
the GUI, separate from stderr of the Octave interpreter which is the
command window. If it is possible to hang on to the original stderr
file descriptor and use that for printing GUI errors from this error
handler, I think that would be a huge improvement.

But if that's not possible and we need to keep GUI stderr tied to
interpreter stderr, then I suppose I would go with the discard option.
I see there's already one special case in that function, more string
matches for the ones we know happen regularly could be added. Or
simply discard everything less critical than "error".

--
mike