Re: Octave web update

From: rocketsound
Subject: Re: Octave web update
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 13:03:22 -0800 (PST)

My first impression is really good and some improvements came into my mind (I
hope that's also the kind of feedback you expect): IMO one of the biggest
problems of Octave concerning public visibility is that a lot of people
(especially students/"post-students" who only worked with Matlab yet) have
no idea what Octave is and _way_ more importantly don't know how powerful it
is and that it actually is mostly Matlab-compatible. Some of them heard
about it but think of it like a rusty unstable piece of code that is for
scientific freaks only. Additionally, most people/students I introduced to
Octave don't understand the purpose of Octave-Forge and that they can expand
Octave's core functionality with the packages hosted there. The new website
should take care of both these points and make them _more_ clear.

I created a prototype that takes care of both points I described above (see
the attachment) and extended the front page a little bit. Note that I'm by
no means a "capable" designer, it's just how I would change the design the
front page.

I also noticed that the text "Octave is normally used through its
interactive command line interface, but it can also be used to write
non-interactive programs." on the original front page is now outdated.

DesignPrototype.pdf
<http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/file/n4668750/DesignPrototype.pdf>