pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Single-click in 0.13.2.90

From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Single-click in 0.13.2.90
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 19:44:42 -0600

> Interesting, looks like single-click-selects was a global feature whose
> reason for existence was to fill a small, specific need:
>
>    "Don't pop up that damn save-as dialog when I'm selecting binaries.''

no, selecting a message by clicking on it, is needed when you want to select
a number of messages, or perform an operation on a message without opening
it (mark it read, etc).

personally, I don't see how people do without it. if clicking on a message
causes pan to switch to the 'message' tab, and start downloading the
message; even if you intended to download it, you have to at least switch
back to the headers tab to select messages again; or you're wasting time
downloading the message, when all you wanted to do is mark it read; or at
worst, you just wanted to start selecting messages from that point (with
shift+downarrow), but now you're switched to another tab/pane, and the
header-list widget in the headers tab won't let you start selecting from
that point by keys, because when you switch back to it the focus is on some
other widget in the tab.

maybe it's different if you're using multi-paned mode, instead of tabbed
mode like I do, but in tabbed mode I can see more data without having to
scroll, than I could in paned mode.

Am I off-base here? am I ranting too hard to make sense? am I doing
something wrong? how do other people use the interface to grab whole lists
of binary posts? (I really do want to know, in case someone knows a better
way to do things).

I keep meaning to write up something that enumerates my
complaints^Wsuggestions with the Pan UI; but I'm lazy and busy and not prone
to shoot my mouth off if I'm not doing anything to improve the situation.
(and so far I haven't been helping much) :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises