pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Single-click in 0.13.2.90

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Single-click in 0.13.2.90
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:44:55 -0700

On Fri 22 Nov 2002 19:51, Ajax posted as excerpted below:
> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 04:15:57PM -0800, Charles Kerr wrote:
> > Interesting, looks like single-click-selects was a global feature whose
> > reason for existence was to fill a small, specific need:
> >
> >    "Don't pop up that damn save-as dialog when I'm selecting binaries.''
> >
> > Is this right?  If so, I'd rather code Pan to know not to pop up the
> > save-as dialog when clicking on binaries than add the
> > single-click-selects option back in.
>
>     I exclusively use the tabbed view.  When starting with a long list,
> say on the "Groups" tab, I want to use the page up and down keys.
> Before I can do that I need to click on a group line to get the cursor
> placed, but if "single click" selects, I'm jumping in to that groups
> message listings (and if that group has 100K+ messages this may take a
> while).  Sometimes I'm just clicking on a group list to do other things
> from the pull down menus and don't want to jump to the message
> listings.
>
>     When viewing on the "Headers" tab, I seldom want the message I click
> on to open immediately.  I'm either selecting a group of messages, or I'll
> right click and choose read message.
>
>     I really like the ability to choose whether or not "single_click"
> selects.  This allows different users to tailor the program to their
> needs, rather than the other way around.

Do what I do.  In the header tab/pane, if you wish to select w/o d/ling or the
s/a dialog, middle-click, rather than primary-click.  The same idea works in
the groups tab/pane.  Primary-click activates, middle-click selects.  That's
been the default for some time, altho there was an option to change that
default in preferences, b4.  You might even consider switching mouse button
order, to put "middle button" functionality, on the primary button.  (I'm not
sure if X manages that live or has to be restarted, for that, but it's a
thought.)

As for me, I'm in heaven with this version!  I have customizable hotkeys back
and non-volatile!  I spent several hours after installation yesterday,
deleting hotkeys on stuff I never use, like the tabbed view functionality,
and assigning or reassigning hotkeys as necessary for the things I use
frequently (like mark unread -- shift-m, as the reverse of mark read, m).  Of
course, a good part of that was copying and then sorting the keydump file,
into human usable order, as, despite still having gtk-can-change-accels in my
gtkrc files, that functionality seems to have quit working with one of the
latest Mdk Cooker beta updates.  No worries!  PAN is the only GTK/Gnome app I
use enough to be worth the trouble, and now that it does key-dumping again, I
was able to handle that manually.

BTW, the reason I have no use for tabbed view is as follows.  I'm running X
with triple 17"-ers @ 1280x1024 stacked on top of each other in Xinerama
mode, for a full 1280x3072 desktop.  With 17" monitors now less than US$100
new after rebate (and used ones often available for $50 or less), and cheap
PCI vid-cards running US$30-ish, I'm thinking of expanding that to a dual
stack side-by-side, 2x3=6 monitors, for a massive 2560x3072 desktop!  (I'd
actually prefer 2x2 21", a bit wider but not as tall, and with fewer dark
bands between the monitors to disturb my view, but those are still a bit
pricy, and aren't so easy to come by used.  Or, an even PRICIER 36-48"
plasma, but that's about US$10 grand!)  Anyway, the whole thing that got me
running multi-monitor in the first place, back on MSWormOS 98, before I
switched to Linux, was to give me room to run OE news in triple-pane mode
without feeling cramped, and I might as well make use of the screen real
estate now that I am on Linux for the same thing.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin