pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 13.90 feature hide-n-seek

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 13.90 feature hide-n-seek
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:15:35 -0700

On Wed 12 Mar 2003 09:39, Chris Petersen posted as excerpted below:

> What about when trying to view a binary article (image) while trying to
> download other binaries?
>
> I wouldn't mind it being gone if you could get pan to prioritize
> user-interaction downloads, as opposed to just a text/binary
> distinction.  Otherwise, I'd vote to bring it back.

PAN handles that now as well, by simply finishing the segment(s) it was on,
and starting the task added last.  Thus, if you go thru groups, delete the
obvious spam and whatnot, and then select all, d/l, then go to the next group
and do the same, as each connection gets done with it's segment, it will stop
working on the first task and start the second.

Further, if while checking the group, you want to d/l a segment or
multi-segment post to see what it is, just space-read it, and the next
connection to finish a segment on what it was working on will stop that, d/l
your interactive segment, then go back to what it was doing.

The only problem with this, is that it's easy to have several partially
completed jobs listed in the scheduler, as it stopped what it was doing each
time you started a new task, to work on it, first.   Still, it means that all
configured connections are used to best efficiency, working all the time if
there's any segments in any tasks left to complete, until they are all done.
That sure beats the previous behavior, where in ordered to keep them all busy
until the last moment, I'd break my d/l tasks into 20-200 segments each, set
them to d/ling, then sort so the big tasks got done first, so the last task
wouldn't end up being a long one with only one connection working on it.
Now, I can just set up the d/ls, and forget about keeping them all busy, as
PAN does that automatically.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin