pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Display of posts by date ?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Display of posts by date ?
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 03:22:49 +0000 (UTC)

John Fitzsimons <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 20
May 2006 12:49:58 +1000:

> I took a very quick look at Pan the other day and it looked very
> good. Before I start using it to any great degree however I would be
> pleased if someone here could answer the following questions.
>
> Can one set things so that one only sees posts made within the last
> 30 days ? If so then a "step by step" would be appreciated.
>
> Can one set things so that one only sees saved posts that were made
> in a certain time period ? For example suppose I had kept all posts
> for the last year in a newsgroup. Could I somehow display posts from
> 1/1/06 to 31/1/06 only ?
>
> I presume things are the same on all platforms but if not I am using
> win 98SE. Any help/how to appreciated.

Welcome! =8^)

You don't mention what version you are using.  Is it the old 0.14.x
series, or the new (weekly beta) 0.9x series?

I haven't yet mucked about much with the filtering on 0.9x (which isn't
always stable and lacks a bit of polish, but /is/ better at automatically
managing multiple servers), but with the old but stable 0.14.x series, it
was a matter of setting up a proper filter, then choosing that filter in
the filter menu.  I can start it up and get more detailed if that's what
you are using and you need me to, but the idea when creating the filter
for the 30-day is to add the date condition, set to 30 days, then toggle it
once added as a condition if necessary to invert the qualifier.  For a
range, you'd use two qualifiers with the conjunctive set to AND so it uses
both, and point them toward each other (by date) so the range is between
the two, not on either side of the two.  I had a >30-day read filter, and
rule to delete matching posts, set up, that  I could use to purge on
occasion, so I know the general filter worked.  (I'd keep messages I
wanted to keep marked unread, so the 30-day read post purge wouldn't purge
them.

Do note that 0.14.x keeps posts in sync with the server, too, so if your
server deletes posts after a week and you want to keep them around longer
than that, you must save them to a folder before you next sync after they
will have disappeared off the server, or they'll disappear out of PAN's
cache as well.  With 0.9x, it's a bit different.  You set the expiry per
server.  However, I'm not sure how it handles groups occurring on multiple
servers with different expiries set, whether it expires them at the
earlier or later set one.

Charles?