pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Display of posts by date ?

From: John Fitzsimons
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Display of posts by date ?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 07:35:52 +1000

On Sat, 20 May 2006 03:22:49 +0000 (UTC), Duncan wrote:

>John Fitzsimons <address@hidden> posted
>address@hidden, excerpted below, on
Sat, 20
>May 2006 12:49:58 +1000:

>> I took a very quick look at Pan the other day and it looked very
>> good. Before I start using it to any great degree however I would
be
>> pleased if someone here could answer the following questions.

>> Can one set things so that one only sees posts made within the
last
>> 30 days ? If so then a "step by step" would be appreciated.

>> Can one set things so that one only sees saved posts that were
made
>> in a certain time period ? For example suppose I had kept all
posts
>> for the last year in a newsgroup. Could I somehow display posts
from
>> 1/1/06 to 31/1/06 only ?

>> I presume things are the same on all platforms but if not I am
using
>> win 98SE. Any help/how to appreciated.

>Welcome! =8^)

Thanks.   :-)

>You don't mention what version you are using.  Is it the old 0.14.x
>series, or the new (weekly beta) 0.9x series?

0-14-2

< snip >

>I can start it up and get more detailed if that's what
>you are using

Thank you. That would be great.

< snip >

>Do note that 0.14.x keeps posts in sync with the server, too, so if
your
>server deletes posts after a week and you want to keep them around
longer
>than that, you must save them to a folder before you next sync after
they
>will have disappeared off the server, or they'll disappear out of
PAN's
>cache as well.

Well, I subscribe to dozens of newsgroups. Transferring posts every
day sounds like a royal PITA. That's the main reason I decided
against using Pegasus Mail.

> With 0.9x, it's a bit different.  You set the expiry per
>server.  However, I'm not sure how it handles groups occurring on
multiple
>servers with different expiries set,

Hopefully I could set the expiry for about 100 years.  :-)

Any idea why there isn't simply a "do not delete old posts from
newsgroup" setting ?

>whether it expires them at the earlier or later set one.

Well, I will see how your filter works first but the above would seem
to make Pan as tiresome as Pegasus for me. Constantly moving hundreds
of posts every day is NOT my idea of fun. If I have 50 newsgroups
then I need to have an additional 50 folders as well, for transfers.
:-(   Makes finding things more difficult as well.

>Charles?

Thank you for your help so far.

Regards, John.