Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:28:49 -0800

"M. R. Brown" wrote:

> Alas, even if phpGW's final option was to leave Savannah in order to
> maintain the aesthetic excellence they have all this time, that wouldn't
> prevent Savannah from co-opting phpGW's source and continuting to use it.
> Just look at the SourceForge situation.  Unfortunately, if phpGW did leave,
> I doubt the FSF would put a positive spin on it, and turn it into a
> Slashdot-worthy debacle.
>
> Even though Savannah proudly took SourceForge's codebase and implemented
> it, what did Loic himself have to say about SourceForge and their paradigm
> shift?  If you do leave for technical reasons, phpGW, prepare to be
> dragged further into a non-techical debate - something that has little to
> do with the thousands of lines of code (that the FSF haven't written, or
> improved upon) and UI-element bytes that make phpGW as good as it is.

Even if we stop, for the time being, to be an official GNU project, I
would still plan to build the next version of Savannah on top of phpGW.
phpGW is still a GPL'd product and is not dependant on GIF's so savannah
could still be built on top without an issue.

I would also hate to cause a stupid slashdot debate on the issue,
because it would be a waste of time. I know that the FSF is standing
firm on their stance and respect them for it. At this stage I simply am
not all too passionate about the GIF patent issue, because I dont think
2 years (before the patent expires) is much issue, and worth making
phpGW a little goofed up.

Seek3r