Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:25:30 -0800

Andrew Lovell wrote:

> Guys this is starting to get to me, when we were on sf.net everyone was
> whining that they were starting to do things a way the "we" did not like,
> now we've moved to Savannah and we are whining that they want us to adhere
> to some of their principles!

So your plan would be to let others make decisions for our project? I
think not.
This is a valid issue that needs to be debated.

> Damn let's be a bit more pragmatic! gnu.org are offering us a service free
> of charge but in exchange they want us to follow some of their rules! Ok so
> maybe it is going to give us a bit of work SO BLOODY WHAT!

This is not that big a deal. phpGroupWare is large enough now, and we
have enough resources to host all our services ourselves. We are part of
Savannah by choice, not need. If, and I dont think it will come to this,
we decide we must stop being a GNU project then we can handle our own
needs on the phpgroupware.org server.

Additionally, its not that switching to a no gif policy will cause more
work. The conversion is not difficult. The problem is the lack of solid
gif support in browsers and the end result that our program will be less
appealing to users.

> Let's stop whining and get-on with doing what "we" do best: Producing an
> Excellent suite of Groupware Applications! and let's forget the politics!
> ok?

Somehow I havent noticed a slow down in CVS commits. If you dont want to
be part of the debate, then dont involve yourself and stick to working
on the code. Those that want to be part of the debate, will be. A
decision will come together soon enough.

Dan Kuykendall