Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: Mark A Peters
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:08:11 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Loic Dachary wrote:

> Miles Lott writes:
>  > To me the real issue is in who has control over the project.
>  > This is our software, for the moment.  I have no interest in
>  > bending over for these powers that would be over this or any
>  > 'ethical issue'.
>
>       The interesting thing about the GNU project or the FSF is that
> they have no power whatsoever. If they had, they would not experience
> so much troubles advocating for Free Software, they would have the
> power to impose it. But then, would it be Free Software ? It would
> rather be a dictatorship contradictory to the very spirit of Free
> Software.
>
>       The current situation very well shows that the GNU project and
> the FSF have no power, no control over phpGroupWare. The phpGroupWare
> developers decided to join the GNU project and to comply to its policy
> on their own will. They can decide to leave it if, after all, they
> are not willing to comply to the GNU project policy. What kind of
> power does the GNU project or the FSF have over this ?

Now, Loic.  I disagree with you on this one.

> The phpGroupWare developers decided to join the GNU project and to
comply to its policy on their own will.

I believe Bradley had stated that a miscommunication may have existed in a
discussion with Dan (Seek3r), where the fact of "NO GIF's" had been
discussed.  And if I remember correctly, I believe you had stated that
when YOU had created the phpGroupWare project on SAVANNAH, you answered
all of the questions including the one adhering to the NO GIF's on GNU
sites.  So, in reality, no one who can truly speak for phpGroupWare (a
project administrator) has agreed to any of the GNU provisions.

Mark A Peters (Skeeter)