Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: Loic Dachary
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:21:14 +0100

 > > It uses the words "you should not inlcude GIF's in..." it does *not* say
 > > "you cannot" or "you shall not". It says "should not", which implies an
 > > option. It also says that "a package might provide support for GIFs;
 > > however, precendence should always be given to PNG...". Since I wrote
 > > the functions to look for PNG, then JPG and finally GIF, I felt I was
 > > fulfilling this as well.

        It seems a very long explanation to say something very simple. You
changed your mind. In June 2001 you agreed to remove the GIF files from
phpGroupWare, explicitly, as part of the necessary steps to become part
of the GNU project.

        Could you, in addition, explain why and for what reason you think
that the GNU project should not boycott GIF anymore ? Or outline the new
GIF boycott policy so that it fits with phpGroupWare policy ? I guess
you don't subscribe to http://burnallgifs.org/ either ?

        Maybe I'm too sensitive on this subject. I'd like to see more
support against software patents because they are likely to hit Europe
soon. Sometime it requires more than merely working around existing
software patents. It requires to stand against them, boycotting GIF files,
for instance.

        Cheers,