Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] The GIF issue
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:17:01 -0800

"David W. Jablonski" wrote:

> Freedom of choice for the end users is definately something you should
> consider.  I saw a suggestion earlier about placing the gifs somewhere
> else and setting up phpgw to support gifs.  Then *IF* the end user would
> want to download the gif files from somewhere else the themes and such
> could support them through end user preferences.

This would be a burden on the users. I was considered and debated *alot*
but lost.

> I also understand that FSF fights battles in court and out for people
> against stupid things such as software patents.  I can't seem them
> agreeing to having gifs hosted on their hardware.  How can they fight
> against them when one of their projects uses them?

I understand this. We are no dependant on them, we simply include them.
I just added a hack to our templates code so that upon a certain
setting, any reference to .gif will get converted to .png. This will
help in a no gif install.

> This is why it can just become a add-on.  Not part of the core which is
> hosted on FSF boxes.  If anybody challenges FSF on the gif issue they
> can just reply that the official phpGroupware product that resides on
> Savannah is gif free and that if end users want to include gifs that is
> their choice.

As mentioned. I offered this solution, but the team doesnt want to take
it.

> I'm of the belief that the FSF can't force phpgw to not support gifs
> that they can just force phpgw to not host the gif files on their
> hardware and that if individual package maintainers plus the core
> developers can find a place to host the gif files than fine.  Completely
> keeps FSF out of it.

Correct, they cant force us, but they can remove us from their boxes. We
are prepared to self host on my boxes if nessesary...