Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification (

From: Jason Wies
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification (fwd)
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 14:33:53 -0500

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 02:27:50PM -0600, Mark A Peters wrote:
> > I honestly can not remember anything else. If you are aware of new feature
> > I forgot
> > about, please let me know. I have, in fact, to fix 2 bugs before I could be
> > in a
> > position to merge anyway. Bug #1 is I forgot to pass user submitted strings
> > in the
> > filters UI through the "database defanging" code that has existed since
> > before .12,
> > bug number #2 is I did not lang the "report" strings that you get after a
> > filter has
> > run.
>
> I think that one important thing to state here is that there was a call
> for feature freeze.
>
> FEATURE FREEZE
> Submitted by milosch 12/23/2001 - 06:12:57 pm
> OK, we are a day late. But, the feature freeze for 0.9.14 is now in effect.
> Now it is time to concentrate on cleaning up the current code in preparation
> for a release candidate. Look for another announcement here when that is
> ready.
>
> feature freeze for phpGroupWare-0.9.14 release
> Submitted by ceb 12/20/2001 - 08:12:43 pm
> Within the next 2 days a feature freeze to the current development code will
> be announced. At that time a branch will be created to begin testing and
> fixing prior to the next release. An official test procedure will be in place
> within the next two weeks. We are looking for testers to check the release
> candidate.  Please submit bugs and patches to the sourceforge project for
> phpGroupWare. If you do not have an account, include your email address if
> possible. The phpGroupWare-0.9.14 release hopefully will be out in
> january 2002.

I agree that a feature freeze is a feature freeze and should be respected (you
have to draw the line _somehwere_).  However, I felt this one was WAY too
short.  I hadn't been on IRC much preceding the announcement, and had been
waiting for a chance to add the few features I wanted to have in the next
release.  Then the "feature freeze in 2 days" message arrived, and there was
just no way to squeeze enough time out that weekend.  I think a notice of at
least 2-3 weeks (three weekends) in the future would be nicer, and might help
prevent last minute conflicting contributions.

Jason Wies aka Zone