Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification (

From: /Angles/ Puglisi
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification (fwd)
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2002 21:59:44 +0000

Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] darn near email done, merge notification (fwd)

Why (fwd), do you even subscribe to the devel list?

Mark A Peters (address@hidden) wrote*:

>Well, you are a student of government, I am the government.

ok, I'll pass on that.

>I should be able to tell almost
>immediately it's something newly introduced.

Humm, pine. How would you know if you don't use the product?

>In all of my time as a software developer (in excess of 10 years, almost
>18 years exclusively in some capacity in the IT business),

ok, for how many *minutes* have you used the email app?

>The fore fathers of the US
>Constitution was more wiser than you could imagine.

That's my point, out of a broken method of govt they created a novel and working
form of govt, yes I have read the federalist papers, Publius.

Mark, this next paragraph is FINALLY what I want to hear, an explanation to us,
the
coding poor, about our new leader. And yes, it shows you understand my concerns,
better than anyone else.

>They knew that they
>would'nt build it properly the first time.  They built into the
>consititution the method of how things could be changed.  They knew that
>what they built today, would not be appropriate for tomorrow.  The same
>thing here.  We seen what we did have as far as a governing body of the
>project was not able to grow needs of today or the future, so we adapted
>the structure to something that could work for now and still allow us to
>change it later.

Look, I am a soldier in the fight against overpriced, lame, closed software
that has
been imposed on us by some un-named software company. I will follow orders.
Even if
I disagree with them, even if the decision makes do not use my product and have
less
understand of it than those who do, I will follow orders. I believe in the
consolidation of efforts, I disagree with code forks, and I disagree with
projects
splintering off from the main effort.

Yes, I'll raise hell in public debate, I will tell the king if he's wearing
only his
underwear, (the king is downrigh *naked* right now) but I will follow
leadership's
direction and I will not stop the *increasing* inertia this project has gained,
will continue to add to it.

Now the two leaders who have responded do not use my product, how can you know
what
is a new and what is fixed? I do not care what is released this time or next
time,
but, logically, if I have stable and fixed code, then, logically, it should be
released, but that decision is "above my pay grade" and Mark will understand
that.

Let's not have the equivelant of the $1,000 toilet seat and the $500 hammer
here,
please. I re-iterate that what get's released *now* is not my decision, and
what's
more I do not have the energy to even care, but I put forth this challenge:

Will the leaders spend 30 minutes, (it does not have to be contiguous) using the
email product, comparing the .14 branch to head, and will just ONE of the
leaders
actually spend a few days using the HEAD code and personally report *any* bugs
the list, especially bugs that did not exist in the .14 branch. In fact, will
*any
one* on this list compare the two versions and point out bugs in head that do
not
exist in .14, whether they are a leader or not.

Mark, it may be time to "modernize", don't fight it.