Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] cdb

From: Patrick J. Walsh
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] cdb
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 00:17:33 -0800

the case.  But how would you pick an address to propagate when
importing/exporting/syncronizing?  And of course the tables that I am
looking at are incomplete as they do not have room for phone numbers.

Oops, I thought you had a complete list.

        Have you done any work on this yet?  Besides the database tables?

Yes of course. I think we are far enough to ask for a way to add the
sources to CVS, HEAD of course. :-)

Well of course you should make this available. I will gladly look at it very closely when you do.

plugging in new tables.  For example, I would like to add a 'journaling'
table that could be used to track calls, e-mails and appointments with
certain contacts.

Hmm, isn't that what infolog does already?

Yes, infolog allows you to log phone calls and such. What I envision is something that would tap into this database as well as the calendar and e-mail system. See, infolog to me is not useful as it is. I believe that you need to be able to go to a particular person in the addressbook (or cdb or whatever) and see what activities have taken place with relation to that person (activities with me or with the people who I manage, etc.). Then you should be able to go to an organization and see what activities have taken place with regard to the entire organization, grouped perhaps by date or by people in the organization, etc. And finally, I don't really want to have to enter stuff manually into a log all day long. I want it to be as automatic as possible, which I don't think infolog is.

So infolog has some functionality along these lines, but I would envision a grander system with the contact database as the core interface.

..Patrick (mr_e)