Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)

From: Tim Bird
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:40:40 -0800

Jean Delvare wrote:
> I never tried these myself, as I am happy with quilt, but wouldn't
> stgit or guilt be suitable for your task? If so, they may be faster
> than quilt (or not, I just don't know.)

Thanks for the pointers.  I had heard of people using "stacked git",
but thought it was a git methodology, not actual software.  I've
never heard of guilt before, but it looks interesting.

For our large trees, we manage a series of patches with quilt, all
checked in to a git tree alongside the source.  It looks
like other people are doing the same thing, albeit with different
tools.

I'll have to examine these more and see whether they have benefits
over what we're doing now.  (However, I sometimes use quilt
standalone (not on top of git), so I'm not sure these could replace
all our quilt usage.

Thanks again.
 -- Tim

Tim Bird
Senior Staff Engineer, Sony Corporation of America