Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)

From: Alex Chiang
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt and debian (was something else)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:50:23 -0700

* Tim Bird <address@hidden>:
> Jean Delvare wrote:
> > I never tried these myself, as I am happy with quilt, but wouldn't
> > stgit or guilt be suitable for your task? If so, they may be faster
> > than quilt (or not, I just don't know.)
>
> Thanks for the pointers.  I had heard of people using "stacked git",
> but thought it was a git methodology, not actual software.  I've
> never heard of guilt before, but it looks interesting.
>
> For our large trees, we manage a series of patches with quilt, all
> checked in to a git tree alongside the source.  It looks
> like other people are doing the same thing, albeit with different
> tools.

gregkh has complained about the speed (or lack thereof) when
using StGit for large patchsets. It's something I've noticed
myself when, say, importing the relatively small mmotm patch
queue (which only numbers in the hundreds, not thousands) into an
stg tree.

My normal use of stg is as a developer leaf node though, so I'm
quite happy to use it for my N=15--20 patch series.

I've heard tell that TopGit is the porcelain to use when managing
large patch queues on git, but I've no direct experience with it.

/ac