[Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of palito - a real time strategy game

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: submission of palito - a real time strategy game - savannah.nongnu.org
Date: 23 Jan 2003 19:11:33 +0100

Hugo Gayosso <address@hidden> said:

> Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > If you want to, we can explain you in more detail why Savannah only
> > hosts "GNU GPL v2 or later" software.
>
> Hello Mathieu!
>
> Could you please send me that explanation to have it in my records, as
> I am usually being asked those kind of questions.

Sorry for the delay,

In fact, the main reason is the goal to keep savannah coherent for
years. As we will always promote the current GPL, dealing with
software licensed without the "or later version" would be tricky after
next releases of the GPL.

The "or later" assure that, whatever the fact the author is still
reachable or not, you can still use the software according to the
current GPL (well, nothing new to you I guess :) ).

Generally people that choose the GPL wants a "restrictive"
licence. The GPL v3 is not expected to be less restrictive.

If the project author that chose the GPL v2 find finally the GPL v3
too restrictive, his software can still be distributed under the GPL
v2. So it's not really a problem for him. People will still be able to
use the program with the licence he choose at first .