Re: [Savannah-hackers] XXX.gnu.org

From: Jaime E. Villate
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] XXX.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:50:38 +0100

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 05:53:16PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> A year ago we had the idea that each GNU package could have
> its own host name, XXX.gnu.org.
>
> 2. Is there any difficulty in implementing this?

As I said last year, the major difficulty I see is that all links to gnu.org
pages would brake down. For instance, suppose project XXX in
htpp://www.gnu.org/software//XXX currently has a link to a page in
www.gnu.org/philosophy/...  With the current GNU website policy, that link
would be hard coded as /philosophy/...

Once you access htpp://www.gnu.org/software/XXX via http://XXX.gnu.org, that
link would try to take you to http://XXX.gnu.org/philosophy/...  (which stands
for htpp://www.gnu.org/software/XXX/philosophy/...) which does not exist. We
have to figure out some way to solve that problem, and propose a new Website
policy for hyperlinks, before we create virtual domains XXX.gnu.org

Regards,
Jaime