Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org

From: Brian J. Fox
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 07:18:20 -0700

   Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 09:49:02 -0400
   From: Rudy Gevaert <address@hidden>

   On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 09:19:18AM -0400, Tom E. Turner wrote:
   >    We could also perhaps make FOO.gnu.org redirect, as a web site,
   >    to www.gnu.org/software/FOO.  That way we would not even need to edit
   >    the URLs in the existing pages.  The web bandwidth load would remain
   >    on www.gnu.org rather than savannah, and the pages would continue
   >    to exist on mirrors of www.gnu.org.
   >
   >    Is that the best way?
   >
   > from the very start of this thread it seemed so to me.

   I agree on this too.

This is obviously the simplest hack.  But it lacks future vision.  It
doesn't cause the canonical place to find out detailed information for
project XXX to be at XXX.gnu.org.  It doesn't lend itself to balancing
load amongst a farm of project servers.  In fact, it simply adds
ambiguity where before there was none.

I am voting for emacs.gnu.org to be separated from www.gnu.org because
I believe that it is a better solution for now, and the future.

brian
--
More people use Apache than Word, and it does them more good.
  Kragen Sitaker, Mon, 04 Nov 2002 21:32:18 -0800