[Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org
Date: 07 Apr 2003 17:14:58 +0200

"Brian J. Fox" <address@hidden> said:

>    Delivery-date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:53:28 -0700
>    Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:50:38 +0100
>    From: "Jaime E. Villate" <address@hidden>
>
>    On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 05:53:16PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>    > A year ago we had the idea that each GNU package could have
>    > its own host name, XXX.gnu.org.
>    >
>    > 2. Is there any difficulty in implementing this?
>
>    Once you access htpp://www.gnu.org/software/XXX via
>    http://XXX.gnu.org, that link would try to take you to
>    http://XXX.gnu.org/philosophy/...  (which stands for
>    htpp://www.gnu.org/software/XXX/philosophy/...) which does not
>    exist. We have to figure out some way to solve that problem, and
>    propose a new Website policy for hyperlinks, before we create
>    virtual domains XXX.gnu.org
>
> The xxx.gnu.org sites should be built from scratch (of course, this
> initial process could be automated from the existing pages at
> www.gnu.org/software/xxx -- it is an almost trivial process).
>
> The new pages should refer by absolute URL to www.gnu.org/philospohy,
> not by relative URL.  In fact, the only URLs that should be relative
> in that site should be the ones within that site.

Indeed. But until we implement emacs.gnu.org,
www.gnu.org/software/emacs *is within* the same "site" than
www.gnu.org/philosophy.

We are thinking about adding subdomains: so having more than one "site"
(we should talk about subdomains instead of sites).

That's the matter.

We could remove any relatives links but, we want mirroring
www.gnu.org, including www.gnu.org/software/emacs.

 And if we add non-relatif path in www.gnu.org/software/emacs, mirrors
wont work (as referring constantly to the master server).