[Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: XXX.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:30:40 -0400

Brett, we're talking about making virtual hosts FOO.gnu.org
replace the directories www.gnu.org/software/FOO.

    The new pages should refer by absolute URL to www.gnu.org/philospohy,
    not by relative URL.  In fact, the only URLs that should be relative
    in that site should be the ones within that site.

That's right.

It should not be hard to write a script that would edit all these URLs
appropriately.  Running that script could be part of making the
switchover.  We can then make www.gnu.org/software/FOO redirect to
FOO.gnu.org, right?

    We could remove any relatives links but, we want mirroring
    www.gnu.org, including www.gnu.org/software/emacs.

IF it is important for these pages to be mirrored, that is a real
complication.  How important is that?  What fraction of our web site
traffic is in and under www.gnu.org/software?  What total bandwidth?

Brett, can you calculate that and tell us?

We could also perhaps make FOO.gnu.org redirect, as a web site,
to www.gnu.org/software/FOO.  That way we would not even need to edit
the URLs in the existing pages.  The web bandwidth load would remain
on www.gnu.org rather than savannah, and the pages would continue
to exist on mirrors of www.gnu.org.

Is that the best way?