Re: Getting Mac Linux is not worth the trouble.

From: John A. Lopez
Subject: Re: Getting Mac Linux is not worth the trouble.
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:31:40 -0700

glen e. p. ropella wrote:

> Ted.Belding> Hi Glen- I think it's more important to get a gcc binary or RPM
> for MkLinux that is able to compile Obj C -- the gcc that comes with MkLinux
> DR2 can't.  You have to apply 2 patches, one from the MkLinux DR2 and one
> from the recent Gnustep snapshot.  Compared to installing gcc, installing
> Swarm is trivial.  My porting notes describe how to install both gcc (with
> Obj C) and Swarm, and that works fine.  But installing a Swarm binary alone
> wouldn't do much good, since you couldn't compile any apps.  For the time
> being, people should probably just follow my porting notes, unless someone
> has time to upload an RPM for the patched gcc.
>
> Ahhh, now that's a problem.  But, we could always supply that
> gcc binary, if anybody's interested.  Of course, that's an extra
> burden.  If anybody would like to send us that gcc binary as well
> as the swarm binary, we'll put it up.  Otherwise, Ted's right, there's
> no point in supplying a Swarm binary if every mklinux user is
> going to have to dig into the bowls of GCC, anyway.
>
> Ted.Belding> It was great hanging out with all of you in Santa Fe!
> Ted.Belding> -Ted
>
> Agreed!  If I haven't said it, yet, I had alot of fun, as well.
> We will have to do another one next year.  It might be fun to
> have it at one of the other Hives.
>
> glen

glen,

I’m not sure how many MkLinux users there are out there who could supply
the binaries, but if the job had to rely on me to produce them, it would
be a long wait. I’m far from being a programmer and am currently
struggling w/ Ted’s porting notes for the PowerMac 7100.  So any
hand-holding making the installation process as clean and simple as
possible, such as the RPM, would be vastly appreciated by the as yet
small, but intrigued archaeological community I'm a part of.  (The fact
that Im using the Mac platform should give you some idea the level of
the level of my computer literacy (of course I'm referring to me)).

John