Re: Getting Mac Linux is not worth the trouble.

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Getting Mac Linux is not worth the trouble.
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 08:03:40 -0700

Ted.Belding> Hi Glen- I think it's more important to get a gcc binary
Ted.Belding> or RPM for MkLinux that is able to compile Obj C -- the
Ted.Belding> gcc that comes with MkLinux DR2 can't.  You have to apply
Ted.Belding> 2 patches, one from the MkLinux DR2 and one from the
Ted.Belding> recent Gnustep snapshot.  Compared to installing gcc,
Ted.Belding> installing Swarm is trivial.  My porting notes describe
Ted.Belding> how to install both gcc (with Obj C) and Swarm, and that
Ted.Belding> works fine.  But installing a Swarm binary alone wouldn't
Ted.Belding> do much good, since you couldn't compile any apps.  For
Ted.Belding> the time being, people should probably just follow my
Ted.Belding> porting notes, unless someone has time to upload an RPM
Ted.Belding> for the patched gcc.

Ahhh, now that's a problem.  But, we could always supply that
gcc binary, if anybody's interested.  Of course, that's an extra
burden.  If anybody would like to send us that gcc binary as well
as the swarm binary, we'll put it up.  Otherwise, Ted's right, there's
no point in supplying a Swarm binary if every mklinux user is
going to have to dig into the bowls of GCC, anyway.

Ted.Belding> It was great hanging out with all of you in Santa Fe!
Ted.Belding> -Ted

Agreed!  If I haven't said it, yet, I had alot of fun, as well.
We will have to do another one next year.  It might be fun to
have it at one of the other Hives.

glen