Binaries Solicitation

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Binaries Solicitation
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:36:11 -0700

rserrano> What about asking for a submision to the other binaries?
rserrano> Why just ask for mklinux?  Actually the mail I sent regaring
rserrano> Mac binaries was a mistake: it was intended for a different
rserrano> person, not the Swarm list.  Personally I would like to see
rserrano> a Swarm binary for a Silicon Graphics O2 machine running
rserrano> Irix 6.3 which is where I got my gcc compiler.  I am not
rserrano> very proficient in Unix and up to a few weeks ago had no
rserrano> experience with the SGI O2 machine I've been assigned.

OK.  If anybody out there has Swarm running on a platform that
we don't provide binaries for, we would appreciate a contribution
of that binary.  The process should simply be to move into the
$SWARMHOME directory and do a:

   % make distrib

if you have all the paths hard-coded in Makefile.conf.  If you've
created a setup inside the Makefile.conf, say, bobssetup, then
it would, of course, be:

   % make distrib SETUP=bobssetup

This will create /tmp/swarmbin.tar.gz and /tmp/swarmsrc.tar.gz.
Then just upload the swarmbin.tar.gz file to incoming (you might
rename it so that the millions [heh] of other people contributing
binaries don't overwrite yours.  Also, send me an email telling
me what platform it's for and any other specifics a user might
need to know.

Now, as for the Silly-G O2... I believe that's a 64-bit platform.
We're currently scouring the bowls of Swarm for portability
weak spots with respect to 64-bit platforms.  We started this
to help Bohdan to use the Alpha.  But, the same things will be
needed for the SGI O2.  So, it may be awhile, unless you'd like
to help????

glen