Re: boingGraph available in anarchy (was Re: compiling DynamicGraph-1.2

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: boingGraph available in anarchy (was Re: compiling DynamicGraph-1.2)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 20:50:26 -0500

At 06:52 PM 7/14/98 -0600, Alex wrote:

>Regarding source to GraphLib:
>
>Paul Girard <address@hidden> from SAIC has brought to our
>attention a problem with the algorithm used to position the nodes on
>the Canvas graph in GraphLib (of the two demos - this feature is
>*only* used in DynamicGraph, and only affects the position on the
>Canvas and not the underlying data structure).  We are currently
>working on merging this change into GraphLib itself.  Paul Girard has
>also kindly provided us with a corrected version that fixes the
>incorrectly formulated algorithm available at:
>
> ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/users-contrib/anarchy/boingGraph.tar.gz
>
>I too, am loathe to modify a library to compensate for a compiler bug,
>especially when it's using a call to a nice well-behaved, well-tested
>library like math.h.  As has been pointed out by Paul et. al. it looks
>like this particular issue with RedHat can be fixed by upgrading to:
>
> glibc-devel-2.0.7-13

Possibly not! (See my companion message.) Please let me know when the
updated version of GraphLib is ready.

>My initial reaction was rather like Sven's, i.e. to just fix the
>problem in GraphLib. However, the *good thing* about fixing these
>kinds of problems at the level of the OS, is that it fixes the problem
>for *all* apps that use `pow' or other such mathlib routines.

Certainly. Depends on whether one has the resources and time to dig down to
the metal, I suppose. I admire the way you two do that at the drop of a
hat! The rest of us are just trying to get a little simulatin' done ;-)

If we *do* confirm the continued existence of a bug, y'all can either chase
it down, or report the bug to RedHat and let them pursue it!

>I would be a little concerned about publishing any simulation results
>if I knew that there was a bug in such a fundamental library as
>mathlib - since where there is one visible bug - there often lurk
>three in hiding...

I definitely agree there.

>Regards,
>
> --- Alex