Re: More problems with Suse 6.1

From: Matthew Aylward EG201 G219 SL CKR
Subject: Re: More problems with Suse 6.1
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:53:31 +0800

Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

> I've been running Swarm on a machine installed from Suse 6.0 and had no
> problems installing Swarm 1.4.1 there from the RedHat RPMs. Now a
> machine with 6.1 is giving me grief. The recent thread on this was
> inconclusive, I'm wondering if anybody has figured out what is the
> problem here.

Benedikt,
I still have not got swarm1.4.1 running on SuSE6.1
I compiled the latest version of egcs into /usr/local, removed ALL
egcs/gcc SuSE rpms. Then I did the same for libpng, libffi. Then set up
a competely seperate tree (/opt/scriptics) for all the tcl/tk+blt libs.
swarm and my apps all compile OK -- except for the symbol errors that
you mentioned, Marcus says these are harmless.
BUT, I now get the TkExtra init.tcl error:
'Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:'
and there are no no directories listed in the error, just a blank space.

This is although I have TCL_LIBRARY, TK_LIBRARY, and BLT_LIBRARY
correctly defined in all the /usr/local/etc/swarm Makefiles and as an
environment variable in my .bashrc. AND, I recompiled swarm with the
--with-tclscriptdir and --with-tkscriptdir configure options (after a
make distclean).

I have given up for the moment as the frustration was causing a serious
threat to my mental health and I still have a working SuSE-5.1 system
where I do my work.
This is the first time in 2 years that SuSE has really got me, dare I
say 'pissed off'. I don't want to have to change distributions as I have
a lot of other work invested in my SuSE 6.1 setup.
One final comment
'aaaaarrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhggggggggggAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!'

Cheers and grats,
Matt

--
Matt Aylward: <address@hidden> or <address@hidden>
         Linux Lover - OS for the people by the people.