Re: More problems with Suse 6.1 - Solved!

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: More problems with Suse 6.1 - Solved!
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 12:50:57 +0200

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> Trying running "strace ./heatbugs".  The tail end of that
> info may suggest when the end comes.  Also, if you set a breakpoint
> in `main' does it ever get there?

Marcus and Matthew,

As with so many gory problems the solution turned out to be so
ridiculously simple (and the error messages spectacularly unhelpful).

But strace did the trick, it indicated that Swarm wasn't finding the
tk8.0 directory where tk.tcl resides. After I added a link in /usr/lib
to this directory everything works fine (the linker warnings about the
ObjC symbols remain but don't seem to be of any relevance).

So, this should confirm that a virgin Suse 6.1 installation works (with
minor tweaks) for Swarm without recompiling anything, whether it be
egcs, tk/tcl etc. I installed the RedHat RPMs for Swarm and some 'needed
software' (in the /arc subdirectory) from the CD-ROM (note that RPM will
complain that it can't find egcs-objc and in my case also that it
couldn't find xpm-devel, hence you need to use rpm --force to install
the swarm rpm).

After installation you need to do the following:

1) cd /usr/bin;ln -s gcc egcs
2) cd /usr/lib;ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libtk8.0.so libtk8.0.so
3) cd /usr/lib;ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/tk8.0 tk8.0

This should do the trick. If you want to avoid step 1) for some reason
you can also change the Makefile.common in /usr/etc/swarm, setting
CC=gcc (you can leave OBJC = egcs).

Maybe there should be a README packaged somewhere with the RedHat RPMs
that indicates that steps 1-3 are needed for Suse 6.x owners?

-Benedikt

-----
Present coordinates:
Dep. of Economics, Univ. of Trento, Via Inama 1, 38100 Trento, ITALY
Off: +39 0461 882246/267875 Mob: +39 347 0415721 Fax: +39 0461 882222