SuSE gcc=egcs, EditPlus for Windows

From: Catherine Dibble
Subject: SuSE gcc=egcs, EditPlus for Windows
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 13:23:10 -0700

At 10:07 AM 7/6/99 , Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

B> 1) cd /usr/bin;ln -s gcc egcs

B> If you want to avoid step 1) for some reason
B> you can also change the Makefile.common in /usr/etc/swarm, setting
B> CC=gcc (you can leave OBJC = egcs).

Just for the record, my default SuSE 6.1 installation already links gcc
to the latest version of egcs.    Try typing    gcc -v    to see what you get
before you do any other rearrangements.   gcc is still out there, but
programs which want to use it must use its full path.

Nothing to report yet on trying the RedHat RPMs -- I just finished
downloading them.  I can tell you that these links did not satisfy
my Swarm-1.4.1 source installation.  Its ./configure insisted that
it could not find tk.tcl, even though it found my tk8.0 directory just
fine (which contains tk.tcl).  I tried the --with... and it still complained.
We'll see about the RPMs, but in general SuSE seems to do most
things *very* differently from RedHat 5.2.  It think I like it, but Swarm
is an absolute requirement for me and it's driving me nuts so far on 6.1.

For those of you still struggling and perhaps forced to work
in <gasp> Windows for the interim, I *have* at least found a
very nice little syntax-highlighted program editor for Swarm.
It is trivial to add *.m files to its C/C++ group, with nice results.

www.editplus.com

Catherine
This problem, too, will look simple after it is solved.
                                      -- Charles Francis Kettering
 Catherine Dibble                                 address@hidden
 Department of Geography                    www.econ.ucsb.edu/~cath