Re: More problems with Suse 6.1 - Solved!

From: Matthew Aylward
Subject: Re: More problems with Suse 6.1 - Solved!
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 14:10:09 +0800

Jan Kreft wrote:

> How many people would be interested in SuSE rpms?

me at least
> And what SuSE versions are in use?
5.1 and 6.1

> Cheers, Jan.
>
> On 6 Jul 1999, Alex Lancaster wrote:
> >
> > What would be *really* nice is for one of you SuSE users out there, to
> > build SuSE-specific RPMs, that we can put up on the ftp site.
> >
> > The RPMs built by Paul are intended to work on the Redhat distribution
> > *only*, and if they just happen to work on SuSE distributions, it's
> > purely fortuitious, and is not by design.  The packaging of the SuSE
> > distribution is close enough to Redhat in most of the fundamental base
> > packages respect, that things do sometimes happen to work, but you
> > shouldn't expect that this situation will always be the case.
> >
> > Any takers?  <grin>

Greetings,
I have always wanted to decipher the inner workings of RPMs, but have
not had the chance. I will have some time in about 2 weeks. At that time
I intend to go through all these SuSE 6.1 problems and advice, get the
most sensible installation method worked out. I then intend to do a
clean SuSE-6.1 install on my work SuSE-5.1 box (this 5.1 system has been
migrated from my home computer, then hacked somewhat, so it is well
overdue for a clean install). This would seem like a sensible time to
make Swarm RPMs for SuSE-6.1, no?
If ( "2 weeks is not too long" && "Alex can tell me how he does it for
RedHat" ) {
        "I will give it a go!!!" ;
        return HOPE ;
        }else{
        "I will still give it a go" ;
        return HOPE_AND_PRAY ; }

This is assuming that i can get swarm running on SuSE-6.1 when I sort
out the mess I have made so far ;^).

Cheers,
Matt

--
Matt Aylward: <address@hidden> or <address@hidden>
         Linux Lover - OS for the people by the people.