*gdb* crashes when attempting to debug swarm app

From: Jason Alexander
Subject: *gdb* crashes when attempting to debug swarm app
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:33:53 -0700

I just tried debugging a swarm application on my RH 6 linux box and had
the extremely disconcerting experience of watching gdb crash.  Here's a
screen dump of what happened:

  address@hidden bayes]$ gdb bayes
  GNU gdb 4.17.0.11 with Linux support
  GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
you are
conditions.
details.
  This GDB was configured as "i386-redhat-linux"...
  (gdb) run
  Starting program: /home/jalex/prog/swarm/bayes/bayes
  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Now, the application itself does not (as far as I can tell) have any
problems.  It runs without errors and does what it should.  I was also
able to successfully debug the code when I was working on a Sun Ultra a
few months ago, but this was the first time I tried debugging it on my
linux box.

I would assume this problem is fairly rare.  Has anyone else experienced
something similar?  I'm reluctant to begin more projects with swarm if I
don't have a working debugger.

Oh -- just for the record gdb works with other programs.  I was able to
use it for other stuff I've written (not in swarm).  Xxgdb and ddd work,
too.

Thanks,

Jason