Re: compiling swarm-2.1.1 on slackware 7.1

From: Noriel Christopher C. Tiglao
Subject: Re: compiling swarm-2.1.1 on slackware 7.1
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:02:19 +0900

> PJ> 1. Compile gcc-2.95.2.

I installed gcc-2.95.2 using the tar file I got from the swarm ftp site. I still
have to check newer
versions on the suggested site. Just the same I applied the patches against
gcc/ecgs warnings
upon compiling swarm applications.

> PJ> 2. Make sure you have tcl/tk properly installed.  I believe you
> PJ> need an edition in the 8.x series.
>
> 8.3.x should be in the base Slackware 7.1 distro.

Yes they are, and they seem to be doing okay for the current working of
swarm-2.1.1

> PJ> 3. Install blt.  To build blt, you must have the tcl/tk source,
> PJ> blt gets untarred into a directory there and blt has to be told
> PJ> where the tcl/tk source is.
>
> This you still have to do.  No-one has packaged it up for Slackware as
> yet.  If I have spare time, I might try and package up blt and swarm
> as Slackware tgz packages, but probably not for a while (i.e. don't

I did this and blt seems to be doing ok. I would be great to have swarm come in
the next
releases of Slackware though. No hassle.

And so, after installing the required software. I compiled swarm. Everything
looked ok and I
installed swarm in my /usr/local/etc/swarm directory. I directly went on to try
to compile the
sample applications that comes with swarmapp-2.1.1.

Compile looked ok still and indeed the executable *heatbug file was still.
However, when I tried
to run it, I get a Segmentation Fault all of a sudden.

I tried to backtrack a little and did a make check on my swarm distribution and
got the following
test error messages:

*** event raised for error: Invalid Argument
*** function: nil_method(), file: internal.m line: 1349
The message 'putString' was set to nil.
*** execution terminating due to error
Symbol.m: 173 -[Error(c) - raiseEvent]
FAIL: AppendFileTest

Please help me.

--
Noriel

Noriel Christopher C. Tiglao

Doctoral Student
Regional Planning and Surveying Laboratory
Department of Civil Engineering
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo JAPAN 113-8656
Telephone: +81-3-5841-6129
Facsimile: +81-3-5841-7453
E-mail: address@hidden
           address@hidden